Saturday 28 November 2009

A frustrating time

A bit of rant I'm afraid.

In our line of work, we spend a proportion of our time keeping up to date and learning new rules and guidance, particularly tax. The knowledge that we develop, we provide as services to our clients, for which we get paid.
We really don't expect to get paid, if we don't do what the client has asked us.

This week I have had two scenarios where we have been called to meetings to advise, and in both cases our advice has provided very significant tax savings. However in both meetings, the potential clients decided to have a go themselves.

Now normally, not a problem. This happens. However in both of these cases, I travelled hundreds of miles, at our expense and had meetings where I was under the impression that we were going to be undertaking the work.

Not only did we incurr cost, but I also wasted a whole lot of time that could have been spent on other clients. Now, this is rare that this happens, because, as with these two cases, I usually have phone conversations with the potential clients first. The problem is that for every one like this, our propensity to be as open and up front with all potential clients diminishes.

I wish the two ladies, and the two gents well in their businesses. I will be keeping a very close eye on them from a distance. If you do need my help in the future, you'll be paying in advance next time.

Rant over.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment